Wednesday 27 January 2016

Taking over....Ate Days A Week

This week I'm giving you something scrumptious. 

Ate Days A Week is taking over and mixing food and music together for you happening cats.

Make sure to check out ate-days.blogspot.co.uk for more tasty morsels.

////

I’m a big fan of a strange combo, and while my main passions lie in anything to do with food (sad right) I also love a strange and exciting musical mash-up, a well-executed cover that had no place being there. Like a biker band, turning up to a Justin Bieber concert and killing it anyway.

So here it is, my favourite unexpected food and music combos:


Apple + Cheese


You’ve heard of chalk and cheese? Well this is like that, yet despite being the opposites of each other, apple and cheese just gel. My favourite nostalgic treat.


Love Machine – Arctic Monkeys.


If you haven’t heard it you must. A chance to hear the now ever brooding Alex Turner having a little bit of fun. (you might even hear him smile!)

Any weird burger topping 

You can’t always beat a well-made cheeseburger, but throw anything out of the ordinary on that burger and I’m all over it.


Reptillia – The Punch Brothers


Mandolins and Indie Rock? Of course it works, don’t even question it.

My favourite to date? ‘The Scooby snack’ A giant double cheeseburger, towered atop a toasted brioche bun, with a side of delicious chilli cheese fries and topped with warm ham, onion ring, and pineapple (you thought it was a normal burger up until the end there didn’t you?) I don’t know why the pineapple works, I guess it’s like sweet and salty popcorn..

Which leads me to…


Sweet and Salty Popcorn.


It’s again like chalk and cheese, I love a salty snack, but in the cinema, there’s only so much sprite you can drink to counteract a super large salty popcorn - throw in a little sweet, and every other bite is an emotional rollercoaster of flavour. Yum.


Hey ya – Obadiah Parker


An old youtube favourite, turning an in your face Hip Hop (is it? I have no idea) song, into an acoustic masterpiece. Sometimes all you need is a guitar and a voice.


Bacon jam


I mean, its caramelised bacon that you can smear on top of a burger, sandwich, crackers, or just grab a spoon and dig right in! I mean it’s bacon, what’s not to like?


Johnny Cash – Hurt


Amazing that this wasn’t the original, as if written for the musical legend it can hardly be recognised as a cover.


Dorito Chicken


Crunchy chicken nuggets tossed in your favourite crisp. Mash up a bag of heatwave dorito’s, roll your chicken in the crumbs, bake. Et voila! Crunchy, firey and a lot more impressive than the preparation that went into it.


You are my Sunshine – The Civil Wars


Creepy folk song, covered by a cracking folk duo – it’ll give you a whole new view on a song that you probably just thought was a pleasant lullaby.

If that’s a little too dark and dreary for you; try their cover of Jackson’s I want You Back.


Twix Brownie


As good as it sounds, soft gooey chewy brownie, topped with a ayer of biscuit , melted caramel and crunchy chocolate. Heaven and calorie hell all in one delectable bite. (or 20 mouthfuls of sinful self- loathing)


Shake it Off – Scott Bradley and the Post Modern Jukebox


I could not complete a covers list without including one of these gems. Turning well-known pop songs into timeless classics. Get your jazz shoes on ‘cos you’re going dancing.

That’s it from me, I promise there’s a thousand more brilliant examples of these but it’s hard to think on an empty stomach…

////

HepkattFM

No comments:

Post a Comment