Wednesday 3 February 2016

If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long.

2016 is shaping up to be a good year for music.

I know, I know. 

So many people have said this it's cliche but I'm excited. 

First up, we can look forward to a new Royal Blood album. That fabled second album that can propel you to the next level or leave you in the bargain bucket. The rowdy duo were lauded for bringing dirty rock and roll back and I'm not ashamed to admit that I got giddy at the sound they created. I caught them support the Arctic Monkeys at Finsbury Park when I had never heard of them and I'm constantly kicking myself that I spend half the set in the queue for the bar. Nevertheless they were on fire. 

Beyond that I have several gigs booked over the next few months that I can't wait to tuck in to. Later this month, I'm going to get my first live experience of Nathaniel Rateliff and the NightSweats. Their brand of messy upbeat music is something that caught my attention when I first heard S.O.B whilst surfing around on Youtube. I'm seen some footage of them performing and I get the feeling this will be a great show at Rock City, Nottingham. 

This is where it get's interesting. I've been fortunate enough to get hold of tickets for the Milburn reunion.

Now. 

These may not be a huge household name. However, I grew up in Chesterfield and spent lots of my youth at gigs in Sheffield and these guys were everywhere. These were the band that the Arctic Monkeys were seeing when setting out and you can hear so many similarities in the first album from Turner and Co to that sound that Milburn were championing. I once watched Arsenal vs Tottenham with the drummer and bassist in the Forum in Sheffield. Lovely bunch of chaps. But that's for another time. 

They are playing two dates at Sheffield City hall and the atmosphere will be one of nostalgia and mindless teenage recklessness. 

In May, I head to the city hall to see the Last Shadow Puppets. I'm very excited for the rebirth of this act as the new single seems a far throw from what the first album was. I caught them at Leeds festival first time round and was blown away by the chemistry Turner and Kane had as they quipped their way through a 30 minute set. This was prior to the first album and so felt thrown together but that kinda added to the spectacle. 

And finally, PostModern Jukebox return to the UK. It's no secret. I love these guys. They play pop music from the back of a Tardis. Best sellers of today played in the style of best sellers from yesterday. The musicians and singers that get together to offer us this are beyond talented and I'm crazy excited to travel back in time once more. 

Hopefully, there will be plenty more gigs to come and I'm always looking to catch local bands. This is why 2016 promises to be a  great year for me in music. 

Let me know who you're seeing this year and who you think will own 2016. 

Till next time.

////

HepkattFM 

No comments:

Post a Comment